A young boy in New York who has cerebral palsy -- though the case is said
to be mild -- suffered occasionally from leg spasms. His parents sought
help, and a doctor told them that he could use Botox treatments as a way
of combating the spasms. The family went through with this twice, once
in 2012 and a second time back in 2010.
However, due to the side effects caused by Botox, the treatments were actually
detrimental to the 7-year-old boy. The family says that the doctor did
not know about all of the side effects when the treatments were suggested.
The company that makes Botox, called Allergan, is based out of California.
It has its headquarters in Irvine, to the south of L.A., in Orange County.
The couple sued the company over the issue, and the case was handled by
a court in Burlington.
They recently won the lawsuit, and they were awarded $6.75 million as a result.
The boy's mother said that the complications that followed the treatment
were so severe that they almost killed him. She noted symptoms like a
difficulty breathing, swelling of the boy's face, seizures and vomiting.
The couple, who says that the son had never suffered from seizures before,
now says that they have to send an assistant with him everywhere that
he goes just in case he has another one. They believe that the Botox was
responsible for giving him this new condition.
When a dangerous product is used, consumers have a right to know about
the dangers. If adverse side effects are noted, it is important for people
to know what options they have to get
Source: Burlington Free Press, "
NY couple: Son almost died from Botox treatment" Elizabeth Murray, Nov. 22, 2014