In May of this year, an 18-year-old Ohio man died from ingesting pure powdered
caffeine. A Georgia man's death was also lined to the substance this year.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is currently going after the companies
that sell the pure caffeine. The powder can be very lethal -- even at
a dose of one teaspoon. That quantity is the same as drinking 25 cups
of coffee. Because people assume it will provide a potent energy boost,
many young adults and teens are drawn to it. The symptoms of an overdose
of the powder include erratic or rapid heartbeat, diarrhea, vomiting,
seizures and disorientation.
The deputy commission of foods with the FDA told The Associated Press that
marketing such a product is "inherently irresponsible." The
FDA is building a case and considering all legal options against the companies
that do not cease selling the product.
The parents of the Ohio teenager who died lobbied this month in Washington,
D.C. in the hope of gaining more regulatory oversight. They met with lawmakers
and told them that before their son's death earlier this year, they
hadn't even heard of the product. "Now," they said, "we
think about it every day."
Dangerous products can come out of seemingly innocuous substances, including
caffeine. When companies continue to market a product that can lead to
wrongful death, it's important that they be held accountable.
While there are federal agencies that can hold
companies responsible for injuries and death from dangerous products, a civil suit filed by the victims or their families
can hold them responsible financially. Los Angeles residents who have
experienced similar harm can speak with an experienced product liability
attorney for more information.
Source: Fox News, "
FDA targets sellers of pure caffeine powder after teen's death" Dec. 23, 2014