Complete vs. Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury

Personal Injury Lawyers in Los Angeles

Statistics show that around 11,000 individuals suffer from some type of spinal cord injury in the U.S. Of those injuries, it is estimated that around 45% are complete injuries, while the other 55% are incomplete. This can make a serious difference for an individual, especially in regards to type of medical care needed, costs of rehabilitation, physical mobility, and dependency on others.

If you have suffered a serious spinal cord injury, be sure to get counsel from a Los Angeles injury lawyer you can trust. Call Biren Law Group to discuss your case.

Complete & Incomplete Injuries

So what exactly are the differences between complete and incomplete spinal cord injuries? Depending on the site and severity of the injury, the injured person may be permanently paralyzed from the waist down (paraplegia) or suffer paralysis from the neck down (quadriplegia). The American Spinal Injury Association (ASIA) has created a standardized neurological classification of all types of spinal cord injuries that includes evaluation of muscle grading and scale of impairment.

The impairment scale is split into five categories, covering three levels of impairment:

  • Complete spinal cord injury (A)
  • Incomplete spinal cord injury (B-D)
  • Normal function (E)

Incomplete spinal cord injuries are then categorized based upon sensory and motor functions, with motor functions tested against the muscle grading scale. The tests associated with these scales help to then determine level of injury and type of treatment. The more serious an injury, the more medical care and support is likely required. This also means a greater amount of financial compensation may be needed.

Helping Spinal Cord Injury Victims Recover Maximum Compensation

Auto accidents, construction accidents, sports accidents, and other incidents are among the top causes of spinal cord injuries. At Biren Law Group, our Los Angeles personal injury attorneys are skilled at recovering the maximum amount of compensation.

We know which experts can properly diagnose and treat the injury, providing not only strong evidence, but medical testimony as well. We also know which professionals to have evaluate the prognosis of the injury, as well as any future care that is anticipated. We have developed these resources and knowledge through our more than 40 years of legal experience and can extend them to your case today.

Schedule a Free Consultation with Our Team

If you have more questions about complete versus incomplete spinal cord injuries, or if you would like to pursue a personal injury lawsuit against the individual who caused your spine injury, contact our personal injury attorneys at (310) 896-4345. We are proud to offer free initial consultations to all our potential clients.

Our personal injury lawyers in Los Angeles have the experience and knowhow to help you obtain full compensation for your spine injury.